Although I have lived on the East Coast some 20+ years, my roots are in the Midwest and that influence is still very present. Throughout my formative years I had key experiences in athletics and academics which significantly impacted my decision to become a psychotherapist.
I participated in athletics from elementary school through Division I college and beyond. I have experienced the continuum of playing for fun to the pressures of playing to win; from individual to team sports; from being part of national team victories and participating in international competitions to local events as well.
Sports influenced my interest in helping others, not only from an athletic perspective, (physical, mental, psychological and social demands) but also because college athletics was my first exposure to the realm of eating disorders. For the past twenty years I have been intrigued by the complexities of eating disorders, challenged by the tragedy of them and inspired by the hope that comes with helping people recover.
In my initial clinical training, I focused on adults and children, however working within the field of eating disorders naturally shifted the focus of part of my practice towards the adolescent population. I have been working with adolescents and their parents in the public and private school systems Greenwich, Stamford, Rye and the surrounding region for twenty years.
In addition to psychotherapy, I give presentations on all aspects of eating disorders (including athletes), understanding adolescent development and effective parenting strategies. In the past I was a volunteer for the Rape and Sexual Assault Crisis Center in Stamford, Ct and The Den for Grieving Children in Greenwich, Ct.
- The University of Chicago ~ Masters of Social Work
- The University of Wisconsin – Madison ~ Bachelors of Business Administration
- Level II EMDR Certification
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
- Brain Based Therapies (Neurobiology)
- Adolescents and Parenting
- Children (Play Therapy)
- Divorce, Blended Families, Step Parenting
- Relationship Strategies and Couples Therapy
- Sports Psychology
- Men’s Issues
- Executive Consultation
- Alcoholism and Addiction
- Eating Disorders
- Self Injury
- Bipolar and other Mood Disorders
- Grief and Loss
- Mindfulness, Meditation and Spirituality
- Trauma (PTSD)
- Sexual Abuse and Incest
- NASW ~ National Association of Social Workers
- NEDA ~ National Eating Disorders Association
- EMDRIA ~ EMDR International Association
- Silver Hill Hospital, New Canaan CT ~ Addiction and Psychotic Disorders Units
- Yale Psychiatric Institute, New Haven CT ~ Inpatient Adolescent Unit
- CFSMHC, Chicago IL ~ Community Family Service and Mental Health Center
- University of Chicago Hospital, Chicago IL ~ Emergency Room and Oncology